Word of God Church
Why Should We Take The Water Baptism ?
The word "Baptism" comes from a Greek word "Baptisma" (noun), means the processes of immersion as used by John the Baptist. The word Baptizo (verb) means to baptize, primarily to dip. In John 3:23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were constantly coming to be baptized. In the Bible also we see Jesus went in side the water and came out, Philip and the eunuch went inside the water etc.
In the New Testament even before our Lord Jesus Started his ministry God send a person to set the way for his Son through John the Baptist. In John the Baptists ministry he was preaching the kingdom of God not from a convenient place to go and listen (Mat.3:1), he was in the wilderness still people were drawn to him from every side (Mat.3:5). He was not dressed very attractively and he was not having the common food of the people (Mat.3:4). From the womb of his mother he had a anointing of God to do some thing for God. His message to all the people was as in Mat 3:2 "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." So among all types of people only those who felt that they are not living according to the word of God and who accepted their sin came to him as a sign of repentance and obedience and confessed their sins and took baptism through him (Mat.3:6).
1. This Water Baptism is not for those who not yet realized their sinfulness or felt sorry for all their sinful actions. That means those who truly repenting for their sins only could take it. So even before Jesus Christ The Water Baptism is only for those who repent.
2. It is for those who asked God to forgive them by truly repenting for their sins and confessing their sins to God to get their forgiveness (I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness"). So even before Jesus Christ Water Baptism is only for those who confessed their sins unto God.
3. They all went to his place to receive this water baptism. So it is not against their will nor forced on them. Willingly they have obeyed to the commandments of God (Mat.3:5 & 13).
4. Our Lord Jesus Christ told in Mat 3:15 "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented". So, It is to fulfill all righteousness of God. To follow carefully all the laws of God (Dt. 6:25).
5. Water Baptism is after believing God fully. In Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. So believing God is more important. (Acts 8:12) & (Acts 8:37)
6. We are taking this to acknowledge that God was right, in Luke 7:29 & 30 (All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)
7. For the remission of our own sins we have to take. In Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
8. To join the Church and the fellowship of the saints. In Acts 2:41 & 47.
9. To burry the old sinful man and to unite with Christs resurrection. In Rom 6:3 to 5 & Col 2:12
10. In order to wear Christ in Gal 3:27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
11. In 1 Cor 12:13, to become one with God.
12. In 1 Pet 3:21 "and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"
HOME | BIBLE STUDY | SERMONS | WORD OF GOD | SCRIPTURAL HELP | SEASONAL TOPICS | LINKS | DEVOTIONAL
©Word of God International Ministries