FRIEND OF SINNERS
Bro. Michael Jacob
Luke 15:1,2 ; Song of Solomon 5:16
1. A true friend loves heartily
JESUS CHRIST'S love is an abounding and
abundant love. As He loves so He speaks. "He having loved, loves, to the end"
2. A true friend is very needful. David though a great man
needed friends. The centurion was a great man, yet had his friends Luke7:6.
CHRIST is the MOST necessary friend. He
is of ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. Living and dying without CHRIST will be miserable.
3. He that is Friend indeed, will make His Friend's case His
CHRIST did not only sympathize with us
"but saved them" Isa 63:9. He is said, "to be touched with the feeling of
our infirmities" Heb 4:15, Zech 2:8 whatever wrong is done to His people. He takes it
as done to Himself.
4. A True friend keeps up the honor and reputation of his
Though the enemy may attack us, Christ
has stood up for us. When the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will
raise up a standard against him.
5. He is most desirable. Man is a social creature and
therefore desires to seek friendship.
CHRIST is most desirable. He is
altogether lovely, "who accounted all things but loss for the excellency of the
knowledge of Jesus CHRIST" Phil. 3:8,9,10.
6. A friend indeed will give demonstration of his love and
friendship. (a) He will study his welfare (b)He will speak to promote it (c) He will act
to effect it.
CHRIST has given full and perfect
evidence of His love and friendship. His thoughts are about them and His words and works
are all for them. Psalms 139:17, Jer.29:11.
7. A friend indeed gives his friend a room in his heart.
Isaiah says " He layeth them in His
bosom. He loves to hear from them, rejoiceth to see them" Isa. 40:11, Song of Solomon
8. A true friend is always ready to impart his secrets to
those that are his friends.
"Shall I hide from Abraham the
things I do ?" Gen. 18:17; Psalms 25:14.
9. A friend will not spare pains nor cost to help him whom
CHRIST will perform to those whom He
loves from the uttermost to the uttermost.
10. A true friend will tenderly admonish whom he loves.
CHRIST will not suffer His people to lie
under sin, 'O how is He concerned when they are ensnared " I know thy works, thou
hast a name to live, and art dead - I have not found thy works perfect before God"
Psalms 119:67,71; Rev. 3: 1, 2.
11. The counsel of such a friend is profitable and should be
O ! how profitable is Christ's comfort!
Psalms49:19, Psalms 16:7, Psalms 73:25.
12. A true friend will not suddenly or easily hear any
report against his friend.
CHRIST will not take measures by
information, but by the perfect knowledge he hath of them, and if they have done anything
wrong, he will reprove them, but gently for their profit. Heb 12:8
13. A true friend greatly rejoiceth in the prosperity of his
CHRIST rejoiceth in the prosperity of His
people (I John...)
14. He that Friend indeed will be faithful. He will not
leave His friend in difficulties.
CHRIST , "Having loved His own that
were in the world, He loved them unto the end" John: 13:1."Yet nevertheless the
Lord stood by me" II Tim. 4:17